Cleaning your rug before you place it in storage is very important! It could determine how long your rug lasts.
Here are some benefits of cleaning your rug:
- It eliminates trapped pollutants:
A dirty carpet can retain indoor air pollutants, pet dander, dirt and dust.
- It helps prevent mold growth
Dirty carpets are more at risk for developing mold when they are exposed to moisture.
So you may wonder, how should I go about storing my rug then? Here are some helpful tips:
- Clean and moth-repel rugs before storing them. An insect repellant will help safeguard your rug from moths.
- Roll your rugs starting at the bottom end to the top end, fuzzy side inside (Silk rugs need to be fuzzy side outside).
- Wrap rugs in Tyvek or brown acid-free paper
- NEVER wrap wool rugs in plastic, they sweat and can create mold and mildew
- Elevate rugs off of the ground, in case of flooding
- Make sure nothing heavy is on top of your rug, this can distort its shape
- Rotate your rug every 3-6 months
- Inspect them often to make sure no bug infestation or mold buildup is occurring
- Protect your rugs by moving them away from the sun while in storage to prevent fading